Windows comes with virtual WiFi adapter feature which is not know by most of it’s users. This feature was introduced in windows 7 and it allow us to create a wireless hosted network, which means you can create a WiFi hotspot on your windows PC. All you need to have is a WiFi connectivity on your PC/Laptop and an active internet connection. The best part is this method that I’m going to show doesn’t require any third party software. So just follow the step by step guide shown below :
Check out : How to Create Windows 8/8.1 Bootable USB Flash Drive
Steps to create Wifi Hotspot in Windows 7/8/8.1 :
- We are going to use command prompt to set up a hosted network, so run command prompt as administrator.
- Now we need to check whether Hosted network is supported or not so type the following command and hit enter
netsh wlan show drivers
- If you see Hosted Network Support : Yes then we can setup hosted network incase its no then make sure your WiFi adapter is enabled.
- In this step we are going to create a wifi hotspot connection. Type the following command to create the hotspot connection.
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<Name of Hotspot> key=<8 character password>
- Now replace <Name if Hotspot> with your desired hotspot name and <8 character password> with desired 8 character password.
- We are almost done, we just need to start the created hotspot connection and allow internet sharing.
- Type the following command to start the hotspot connection
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- We have created a hotspot connection now we need to share our active Internet Connection.
- So go to control panel – Network and Sharing Center – View network status and task, there you can see a number of active networks as show below.
- Now click the one which has Access type : Internet go to properties – Sharing – Check allow other network user to connect to this computer’s internet connection and in the drop down menu select Local Area Connection* 12 as show below
- That’s its now sit back and enjoy your wifi hotspot connection.
Note – If you are getting “A Lan Connection is Already Configured with IP Address” error while sharing internet connection then check out How to Fix it !
Create a Shortcut to Launch WiFi Hotspot
Its always boring to run command prompt as administrator and type the command to start the hotspot every time, so what we can do is create shortcut of the run command.
1# So right click your desktop – select New – Shortcut
2# Now type netsh wlan start hosted network as shown below
Now you can alway start your wifi hotspot with just click.