While creating a bootable USB flash drive for Windows you may face an error which displays ‘We were unable to copy your files. Please check your USB device and the selected ISO file and try again’. This problem usually occurs when windows 7 USB/DVD download tool is not able to clean the MBR and partition table while formatting. So we can easily fix this problem by cleaning the MBR and partition table manually by using Windows Disk Part utility. So here’s a step by step guide to fix we were unable to copy your files in Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.
How to Fix We Were Unable To Copy Your Files Error?
We will delete our existing partition of the USB drive to clean the MBR and partition table. After that, we will recreate the deleted partition and format it in the fat32 file system. Simple isn’t it? So let’s get started.
- Go to start and search for cmd.
- Right click cmd and select run as administrator to launch cmd with administrative rights.
- Now in command prompt type diskpart and hit enter.
- Type list disk to get the list of all connected volumes with their numbers.
- Now type select disk (disk number)
Note – Replace disk number with the disk number of the USB drive as shown below. Be careful while selecting the disk, If you select the wrong disk then you might lose some important data as we are going to delete the partition.
- Now copy-paste each of these commands one by one and hit enter.
This command is used to remove the partition. Don’t worry our aim is to recreate the partition from scratch.
Create partition primary
This command is used to create a new primary partition.
Select partition 1
This command is used to select the newly created partition.
This command is used to set the current in-focus volume as active.
Format quick fs=Fat32
This command is used to format the new partition in the fat32 file system.
This command is used to mount the volume on your PC.
- That’s it! Now you can simply exit command prompt and start creating your bootable USB drive and this time you won’t face any error.
In case if the above method doesn’t works then the problem is with your ISO file. So try to change your ISO file to solve this error.