Recently I faced ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error while browsing some websites using google chrome. This error is displayed along with the message This webpage not available. This error only affects few websites, while other websites just load fine without any errors. So if you’re facing this error then here are few methods to fix err connection timed out error on your windows PC.
4 Ways to Fix ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Error
Change your DNS Server
It might be possible that this error is caused due to your DNS server. If that’s the case then by changing your DNS server this error can be easily fixed.
- Hit windows + R to open the run window.
- Now type ncpa.cpl and press enter. This will open Network Connections.
- Click on your active internet connection, If you are using LAN connection then double click Ethernet and if you are using WiFi then double click the WiFi adaper.
- Now click on Properties and further double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses and enter the following DNS server addresses.
- We have used google DNS server, If you want to use some other DNS server then you can check the list of best free DNS servers.
- Click Ok and reconnect your internet connection.
Check Windows “hosts” File
If you ask someone how to block a website, Most people will recommend the windows hosts file method to block websites. So if you have blocked websites using this method then you can face Err Connection Timed Out error. Most of the time the hosts file is modified by some malwares or viruses without your knowledge, so it’s recommended to check your hosts file and remove extra codes.
- Click start and search for Notepad. Now right click notepad and select run as administrator.
- Go to file and select Open. This will open an open dialog box.
- In the file name enter C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and hit open.
- This will open the windows hosts file. This is how a normal hosts file look like this:
- If you found some sites with IP address below the hash(#) then remove all of them.
- Now press ctrl+ s to save the file and restart your computer.
Flush DNS and Renew IP Address
This is a DNS related error so flusing DNS cache and renewing your IP might fix this issue.
- Click start and type cmd. Right click cmd and select run as administrator.
- This will launch command prompt with administrative rights.
- In command prompt type the following commands one by one and hit enter :
This command is used to flush DNS cache.
This command is used to renew DNS registration.
This command is used to disables TCP/IP for network adapters.
This command is used to flush the DNS resolver cache.
- Now restart your computer and err connection timed out error would be fixed.
Check Your LAN Settings
It might be possible that you might have used some proxy server and then forgot to change your settings. Or you might have used some programs which changes your IP address. If that’s your case then follow the below steps.
- Click on start and open control panel.
- In control panel select view mode as small icon (view by : small icons). Now further
click on Internet Options.
- This will pop a new window. Click on the Connection tab and further click on LAN settings.
- Now make sure Automatically detect settings and Use a proxy server for your LAN are unchecked. If they are already unchecked then skip this method.
- Click Ok and restart your computer.
I hope the error should be fixed till now. If none of the above methods worked for you then try to contact your ISP.