We can’t imagine our life without computers. They have totally changed the way we look at things. Today most of our work is done using computers. Computers are everywhere from an oven to a missile. Although there are lots of interesting facts about computers which many people don’t know. So today I have decided to share some of the most amazing computer facts which will totally blow your mind. First, let’s see what a computer actually is.
You might think a computer is a machine using which we can browse the internet, play games and create or edit some files. Well, you are totally wrong, a computer is a device that stores, retrieves and processes data. Even a small calculator that can perform some calculations is a computer.
So here are some most unique computer facts that nobody told you.
40 Interesting Computer Facts That Nobody Told You
- 80% of emails sent daily are spam.
- The full form of COMPUTER is Commonly Operated Machine Particularly used for Technology Education and Research.
- Largest companies like Microsoft, Apple & HP were all started in a garage.
- An average person’s eye blinks 20 times a minute but while using a computer it only blinks 7 times a minute.
- The founder of Microsoft bill gates lives in a house that was designed using a Macintosh computer.
- Window’s original name was interface manager.
- The heaviest computer ever made was IBM 5120 in 1980. The weight was about 105 pounds excluding the 130-pound external floppy drive.
- The first 1 GB hard drive cost $40,000 which was announced in 1980 and weighed about 550 pounds.
- Each month More than 5000 new computer viruses are developed.
- The first electronic computer ENIAC developed in weighed more than 27 tons and took 1800sq feet of space.
- Russian made a computer that ran on water in 1936.
- If they made a Computer as powerful as the human brain then it will be able to perform 38 thousand trillion operations per second and store 3584 terabytes of memory. And you still forget where you kept the car keys.
- The full form of CAPTCHA is “Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart” which is to identify you’re human or not.
- There is computer software developed by MIT which is able to detect a Natural smile and a fake smile.
- symbolics.com was the first domain name ever registered.
- Fun fact, about 80% of pictures on the internet are of naked women’s.
- The email was already around before the world wide web came.
- 5 out of every six pages are related to pornography.
- India is the largest provider of CEOs in the IT world. Largest IT companies like Microsoft, Google, Intel, and Adobe have CEOs from Indian origin.
- Alan Turing, also known as the father of computer science and artificial intelligence is the man who started programming. But unfortunately, he never got the credits he deserved.
- The world’s 10 most intelligent and sophisticated computers run on Linux operating system.
- A computer that runs 24 hours a day uses more power than a refrigerator. Turn off your computer when it’s not required.
- Every 5 seconds, a computer gets infected with a virus.
- 70% of virus developers are employed by the government under contract.
- The logic behind the Lenovo name is New Legend. “Le” for legend and “Novo” for new.
- Domain registration was free until September 1995.
- The most expensive game ever made was “Shenmue” which cost $47 to $70 million USD including production and marketing cost.
- This computer fact is epic. Apple got the idea of a desktop interface from Xerox. Later Steve Jobs accused Gates of stealing from Apple. Gates said “Well Steve, I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it
- When Gmail was introduced with an unbelievable 1GB free storage in 2004, Hotmail only offered 2MB. Google announced Gmail on April 1st, and wrote a funny and unprofessional press release, tricking many into thinking it was April fool joke.
- ATM PINS were originally intended to have six digits, but we have four because the inventor’s wife said she could only remember that many.
- A typist’s finger travels around 12.6 miles on an average workday.
- Mosaic was the first popular web browser that was released in 1993.
- A guy named Chris Putnam wrote a virus for Facebook which rapidly spread across Facebook users and makes their profile look like Myspace profiles. Facebook hired him.
- The first computer virus released in the world was a boot sector virus which was created in the year 1986 by the farooo alvi. It was designed to protect their research work.
- Bill gates started to learn computer programming at the age of 13.
- The most common lie on the internet is Yes, I am 18 years old.
- It would take about 1000 years to watch every video uploaded on YouTube.
- In 1939, the first electro-mechanical computer was made.
- Every month over 1 million domains are registered.
- With over 900 million users, If Facebook was a country it would be the third-largest country in the world.
Also Read – 10 Best Google Gravity Tricks