There are several reasons why you may need to turn your phone off or on without using the power button. Problems with the hardware buttons on the side of the phone can pose several problems while trying to use the phone. One of the problems that many users face when they cannot use the side power buttons is being unable to restart their device.
In case you’re facing the same problem, you will be glad to know that you can easily restart your Android phone without using the power button. We have researched and listed the best methods out there to do the same. Without further ado, let’s take a look at some of these easy methods to restart your phone without the power button.
How to Restart your Android Device Without Power Button
Note that the method you use depends on whether your phone is powered on or not. There are a few ways to easily turn your phone on while it’s switched off, even if you can’t access the power button. Let’s take a look at how this can be done.
Restarting a Phone That is Turned Off by Connecting USB
Using the power button is the most common solution to restart your phone when it’s turned off. But in case your power button is damaged or you’re just curious about the procedure, take a look at the steps mentioned below to easily restart your phone without the power button.
- While the phone is turned off, connect the USB cable that you normally use to charge the phone.
- The phone can be connected to either the normal charging adapter or to any USB port on a laptop or PC.
- Once connected, your phone should automatically boot, thus completing the reboot process without using the power button.
Note that this process can also be used while the phone is turned on but in a sleep state. You can directly connect the phone as you would while charging it and then easily access the display to reboot the phone.
Read: 10 Best FRP Bypass Tools to Bypass Google Account
Restarting a Phone That is Turned Off from Recovery Options
Most of the Android phones out there have a built-in recovery mode that allows access to some advanced features to manage the OS in the device. You can easily restart your phone using one of the options that are generally found in the recovery menu. Take a look at some of the ways to access it easily and reboot your device without the power button.
- First off, you need to access the recovery menu on your device. The button combination to do so requires holding the power button, along with either volume up, or the volume down button depending on the device manufacturer.
- Once you’ve checked the specific button combination for your device, you can get started with the recovery menu.
- In case your power button is not functioning at all, hold the device-specific volume key, and connect your phone to the charger, while keeping the volume key pressed down.
- This will open up the recovery options, where you can navigate through the options by pressing the volume up button to go up, and volume down to move down the list of options.
- Locate the option that says either “Reboot” or “Restart”, and select it to restart your device easily.
This concludes the methods to reboot your device without using the power button while being turned off completely.
How to Reboot Your Device While the Phone is Turned on Using Native Android Features
Now let’s consider the methods that you can use while the phone is turned on but in a sleep state. Generally, the methods to reboot your phone without using the power button with the phone turned on at the same time is quite easy, and can be done either natively or through the help of some third-party apps.
- Go to the Settings app on your phone.
- You should find a search bar somewhere in the settings app.
- In the search bar, type “Double tap to wake”.
- Once the search results come up, tap on the most relevant one.
- Enable Double-tap to wake. This allows you to power your phone from the sleep state by just double-tapping rapidly on the screen while it’s off.
Now you should be able to access your phone anytime without the need for the power button. There’s one more way in which you can access the reboot menu in Android by adding a toggle in the status bar dropdown menu. Here’s how to do so:
- While your phone is turned on, swipe down to bring out the quick toggles.
- Look for an ‘edit’ button somewhere alongside the quick toggles. The exact position depends on the manufacturer of the device.
- Once you tap on this, you should be presented with various additional toggles that you can add according to your needs.
- From here, locate “Power Options” and add it to the status bar by dragging the additional toggle icon to the existing toggles.
- Now you can easily access the power menu on the device by simply touching the icon from the quick toggles.
Read: 6 Ways to Use Android as Second Monitor for Your Computer
How to Reboot Your Device While the Phone is Turned on Using Third-Party Apps
In case you can’t find the toggle that has been listed in the aforementioned method, then you may need to turn to third-party apps that allow you to easily reboot your phone or turn it on/off without accessing the power button. One of the best apps for this purpose is “Volume Unlock Power“. Let’s take a look at how this app allows you to access most of the functions of a physical power button.
- This app allows you to easily access the power options and easily restart your phone. You can use the volume buttons just like you would use the power button, and access the features from there.
- You can set gestures like double-tapping the volume button to link some of the power button features.
- Just like the native quick toggle settings, this app also allows you to add a notification toggle to restart your device.
This concludes all of the methods to restart your phone without the power button, regardless of whether it is turned on or off.