Roku is one of the best devices around to watch your favorite TV shows and content from other streaming services in a convenient way. You can have all shows and entertainment and replace your basic cable connection for an overall better solution.
Despite the wide variety of content on Roku, the lack of a YouTube Kids app can be quite frustrating. In case you’re looking for a way to run YouTube Kids on Roku, then you’d be glad to know that there are some ways in which you can easily do so. In this article, we will go over the best methods to watch YouTube Kids on Roku and elaborate on the required steps.
How to Watch YouTube Kids on Roku?
As mentioned earlier, YouTube Kids is not natively available on Roku. This implies that you cannot simply download the YouTube Kids app as you would on other services. So, the methods listed below involve using the YouTube native app on Roku to browse YouTube Kids and various ways of streaming from other devices to Roku.
Watch YouTube Kids on Roku using the YouTube App
Most of the content on YouTube Kids can be accessed directly using the YouTube app, which can be downloaded directly on Roku. To make YouTube friendly for children, you can always enable the parental controls in the app and lock sensitive content behind it. Let’s take a look at how you can easily enable parental controls on YouTube on your Roku device.
- On your Roku device, go to “Streaming Channels” by pressing the home button on your remote.
- Look for YouTube app amongst the various options available.
- Select YouTube, and then navigate to “Add Channel”
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- Once the confirmation message pops up, press “OK” to continue.
Now you have successfully installed the YouTube app on Roku. You can continue with the steps required to enable parental mode on YouTube, and remove sensitive content on the platform to make it kid-friendly.
- Once you’re inside the YouTube app, you can navigate the left side panel and select the menu options.
- Select “Settings” to open up the various options and toggles that can be changed on YouTube.
- From Settings, navigate to the “Autoplay” option, and disable it.
- Next, you’ll need to select “Restricted Mode” and enable it.
- Once you’ve restarted the YouTube app, you can only access non-sensitive content which can be found on the YouTube Kids app.
Enabling the Restricted mode on YouTube can easily filter out the extra content on YouTube, and make it accessible for children. This effectively serves the job of the YouTube Kids app and is one of the best methods to enjoy YouTube kids on Roku.
Using YouTube Kids on Roku by Casting from Other Devices
Another simple way to easily access YouTube kids on Roku is to stream it from any device that supports casting content on external services. Let’s take a look at how you can do this, with specific instructions for different services. But, before getting started you will also need to enable universal screen mirroring on Roku.
How to Enable Screen Mirroring on Roku?
- On your Roku device, navigate to “Settings”.
- Here, locate the “System” option on the left navigation bar and open it.
- Now, choose screen mirroring and set it to “Always Allow” from the various options on the right side of the screen.
Now that you have enabled screen mirroring on Roku, you can proceed with the steps required for streaming YouTube Kids from various devices like your phone or PC.
How to Stream on Roku from YouTube Kids (Android)?
Before continuing with the process, you need to install YouTube Kids on the device that you’re streaming from. Let’s take a look at how you can easily do this.
- Download and open the YouTube Kids app on your Android phone.
- Launch the app and open any video of your choice.
- While the app is open, go to the “Settings” app on your phone and look for “Cast”.
- Make sure that your phone and the Roku device are connected to the network.
- Once you have selected “Cast”, you should be presented with the various wireless devices that can stream on the network.
- From here, select your Roku device and allow any permissions required during the process.
- Go back to YouTube kids, and put the device on landscape mode to get the full-screen video experience on Roku.
Streaming YouTube Kids to Roku from iOS Devices
Doing the same process listed above for Android devices is not possible on iOS, as there are no native options that allow you to stream content on Roku. But, you can still download a third-party app and use YouTube kids on Roku with it. The steps listed below will elaborate upon how to do this easily.
- Following the steps listed in the previous sections, go to the Roku channel store, and look for “Mirror for Roku”
- On your iOS device, open the app store and install “Mirror for Roku” from there.
- Make sure that both devices are connected to the same network.
- Open the app you just installed on your iPhone and wait for it to scan any nearby devices. You should find your Roku device listed here.
- Select “Start Mirroring” > “Start Broadcast”. This will start mirroring all content on the screen.
- Now you can open YouTube Kids and select any video you want to play on Roku devices.
How to stream YouTube Kids on Roku from Windows 10 PCs?
Streaming content from Windows 10 to Roku devices is quite simple to set up. Let’s take a look at how you can enjoy YouTube kids on Roku by simply projecting your browser to your Roku device.
- Open any browser on your Windows 10 PC and navigate to the YouTube Kids webpage.
- Make sure that you’ve connected both devices on the same network.
- On your keyboard, tap the “Windows key” + “P” to bring up the various projection options found natively in Windows.
- From the various options, select “Connect to a Wireless Display”, found on the bottom of the list.
- You will now be select your Roku device from here and play any YouTube Kids video directly from your Windows 10 PC.
This concludes all of the methods in which you can easily stream your YouTube Kids content on Roku devices using the native YouTube app and other various ways to cast from other devices to Roku.