A family is formed based on mutual love in a couple. But the stability and longevity of the relationship is a necessary approach to the family budget. The internal economy of the family can be built on different principles. It happens that the couple doesn’t care about the topic of finances, but it sooner or later becomes relevant.
With the help of experts from the Payday Depot team, who often advise on small payday loans, we will find the answer to which financial model in the family is the most viable and prosperous.
5 Most Common Family Budget Models
A family budget is a plan for the distribution of income and accounting for family expenses over some time. Every couple chooses the most appropriate option for financial management, which is often done intuitively or based on the principle of a certain distribution of money. In general, the 5 most common options for organizing and distributing money in the family are:
- Joint budget. Under this model, all incomes of husband and wife are combined. Everyone receives a certain amount for personal expenses, and this sum is not controlled by the other spouse. Expenditure items, such as rent, car maintenance, purchase of household appliances, child support, etc., are agreed upon and calculated based on the capabilities of the family.
- An equal budget is very similar to a joint one. The difference is that someone in the family earns more, and someone less, but everyone contributes a specified amount to cover the total costs. However, the family often opens a joint bank account or issues two cards to one account. Thus, everyone has unlimited access to family resources but spends them according to predetermined rules.
- A solidarity budget is even more suitable for those families where the incomes of the husband and the wife differ significantly, and every couple wants to retain some autonomy and independence. In this case, everyone contributes a certain percentage of their income to the general treasury, while the rest of the money is kept and used differently.
- Separate or independent budgets are suitable for people who value their financial freedom and cannot give it up under any circumstances. With this method of distribution of money, only certain common goals are determined in advance: the purchase of the real estate, the cost of education, training or treatment of children, the cost of recreation, etc. Other money is kept in separate bank accounts. Partners don’t control each other’s financial situations.
- Complete financial dependence of one of the partners on the other. It happens in families of the Eastern tradition or the case when one of the spouses takes care of the baby, while the other takes full responsibility for financial matters. At the same time, control over costs is carried out by the partner who earns money.
Which Financial Model Is Better?
The way of interaction with finances is built from childhood based on the family model and economic awareness. The main thing to understand before choosing the most convenient model for building a family budget is to choose a financial distribution scheme acceptable to both partners. And it is very important to focus not on controlling each other’s costs but on achieving financial goals.
Miscalculation will help you with this. Determine how much money is needed to cover obligatory total family expenses and how much money — to achieve major goals. At the same time, other family responsibilities should be divided as caring for a newborn baby or doing household chores is also a job, even though it is unpaid.
Therefore, the choice of the optimal financial model in the family is inseparable from the division of responsibilities. This is the only way to really establish fair rules in the family and manage the budget together so that it leads to the constant improvement of the family’s well-being and an increase of savings and harmony.