BBC iPlayer, the premier video-on-demand service from the BBC, is compatible with various devices, such as tablets, PCs, and smart TVs. However, if you are not in the UK, you cannot access it on your Amazon Firestick. For example, viewers in the USA cannot watch BBC iPlayer on their Fire TV Stick and Firestick Lite. Still, there’s a way to overcome this issue. It entails using a VPN for Firestick.
Keep reading as we dive deep into the issue of BBC iPlayer’s unavailability on Amazon Firestick in this post.
Why Is BBC iPlayer Unavailable on Amazon Firestick?
If you want to watch BBC iPlayer outside the UK, the best option is using a VPN. Otherwise, you will see the unavailable message on your Fire TV Stick when you download this video-on-demand service.
As mentioned before, the BBC iPlayer is only available for residents in the UK. So, even if you learn how to install BBC iPlayer on Firestick, you won’t be able to access the service outside the UK. The official BBC iPlayer app in the Amazon App Store can only be accessed by those in the UK.
Luckily, there’s a simple workaround to this problem. As mentioned before, connecting to a VPN will let you use iPlayer on Amazon Firestick if you reside outside the UK. There are many free and paid VPNs for Amazon Firestick available online.
Is BBC iPlayer Free on Amazon Firestick?
The BBC iPlayer is available on Amazon Firestick for free. It is available directly on Amazon as it is a legitimate streaming channel. The service does not have any subscription charges and lets users stream content 24/7.
Adding the service to the Firestick is also an uncomplicated process. However, to access UK shows, you will need to create a UK-based Amazon account.
What to Do If BBC iPlayer Is Not Working on Your Firestick?
Many users complain about the BBC iPlayer app not functioning correctly on their Firestick. But it is a very common issue, which you can resolve with the right fixes. These include:
Check the servers of the BBC iPlayer app
If the servers of the BBC iPlayer app are down, it won’t work on your Firestick. So, find out its service status on the search engine by typing ‘Is BBC iPlayer down?’ You will soon get to know the current server status.
Delete the iPlayer app’s cache
Clearing caches will remove unnecessary data from your Fire Stick TV.
- Access the home screen of your Firestick.
- Go to ‘Settings’ and select the application.
- Now, choose the ‘Manage installed applications’ option.
- On the app list that appears, choose the BBC iPlayer application.
- Click the ‘Clear cache’ button.
Update the BBC iPlayer application
If you run an older version of the BBC iPlayer app, you have a high chance of encountering problems in its working. So, update the app through these steps.
- From your Firestick’s home screen, access the ‘Settings’ option.
- Here, choose the ‘Applications’ option.
- From the available list of devices, select the BBC iPlayer app.
- On the next screen, find the ‘Update’ option and tap it to update the app on your Firestick.
Install the BBC iPlayer app again
Reinstalling the application is another effective fix that resolves internal glitches on the app.
- From your Firestick’s settings, choose ‘Applications.’
- Select the ‘Manage installed apps’ option and choose the BBC iPlayer app.
- Now, hit the ‘Uninstall’ key on your Firestick.
- After that, access the home screen of the device and tap the ‘Find’ option.
- On the search bar, input ‘BBC iPlayer’ and hit ‘Go.’
- Choose the BBC iPlayer app and tap the ‘Get’ button.
BBC iPlayer is a popular streaming channel with the best British TV shows. But it works only in the US. If you cannot find it on Amazon Firestick, a VPN service will be the solution. However, if you notice problems in its working, use the resolutions described in this article.