‘Live photos’ is a proprietary feature found in Apple devices. Before 2015, photos shot on iOS devices were just static images. But with the introduction of this feature, users could enjoy the motion of the subject and surroundings that were captured along with the photo for a livelier experience. Later, Google also introduced a similar feature on Android termed ‘Motion Photos’ in their Pixel phones.
Live photos are much smaller in size than traditional videos, and hence take up less space on your device. It can be a good idea to convert long videos into small clips in the form of live photos to save only the essential parts of the experience. These live photos can also be used as live wallpapers for your phone’s home screen.
There are several tools that allow you to do the same on iOS devices. In this article, you will get to know how to convert videos to live photos in the easiest way possible.
- How to Convert Video to Live Photos in Apple Devices?
- How To Create Live Photos (Motion Photos) from Videos on Android Devices?
How to Convert Video to Live Photos in Apple Devices?
Currently, there are no in-built solutions to convert videos into live photos on both iOS and Android devices. Thankfully, there are a few apps available that provide the same functionality on iOS. Read on to find out more about these and how to use them in order to convert your favorite memories in videos to live photos.
Converting Videos to Live Photos Using ‘IntoLive’ App:
IntoLive is definitely one of the best apps available for this purpose and can save the output live images in high quality.
- On your iOS device, open the App Store.
- In the App Store, search for the app “IntoLive”, and download it.
- Once you open the app, it will ask for permission to access your Photos.
- Next, you should be presented with a list of your photos and videos.
- Select the video you want to convert to a live photo.
- You now have the option to edit the video however you want and select the part that you want to make a live photo from.
- Once you’re done with the editing process, tap on the ‘Make’ button on the top right.
- The process should be completed in a moment, and you need to tap ‘Save live photos’ on the bottom to export the images to your device storage.
Download – IntoLive
Converting Videos to Live Photos using ‘VideoToLive’ App:
This app is designed with the purpose of converting videos to live photos that can be used as live wallpapers for your phone.
- Download the VideoToLive app from the app store on your iOS device.
- Open the app and select the video you want to trim and convert to a live photo. You can even select multiple videos to create a single live photo.
- Once the videos are loaded, you need to choose the parts you want to convert.
- Tap on next to finish the conversion process.
Download – VideoToLive
Converting Videos to Live Photos Using ‘Lively Converter’ App:
Lively converter allows you to store your memories in the form of live photos and GIFs from videos on iOS devices.
- Go to the App Store, and download Lively Converter.
- Once you open the app, tap on the Video icon.
- You should get a list of the videos on your device to choose from.
- Select the video that you want to convert to a live photo, trim it, and press on ‘preview’.
- After reviewing the photo, tap on ‘Save as Live Photo’ to complete the process.
Download – Lively Converter
Converting Videos to Live Photos Using ‘GIPHY’ app:
This app lets you convert GIFs to live photos with great ease. You just need to convert your video to a GIF file before using this tool. Follow these steps to do so:
- First, visit this website to convert your video to a GIF.
- Select the video that needs to be converted and click on “Upload Video!”
- In the next screen, you should get the option to select the Start time, End time, frame rate, and quality options for your converted GIF.
- Download the output GIF.
Next, you’ll be using the GIPHY app to convert the GIF to a Live photo:
- Install the GIPHY app from the App Store on your iOS device.
- Browse and select the converted GIF from earlier.
- Tap on the three vertical dots situated at the top right corner of the screen.
- From the options that pop up, select “Convert to Live Photo”.
- Select whether you want a full-screen or fit-to-screen aspect ratio for your live photo, and save it.
Download – GIPHY
How To Create Live Photos (Motion Photos) from Videos on Android Devices?
There are virtually no apps available for the purpose of converting videos to the motion photo format exclusive to Google Pixel phones. But, Google offers its own solution to convert short videos into cinemagraphs or cinematic panning shots, which are quite similar to live photos. If your goal is to just convert the videos into live wallpapers, then there are a few apps to do so.
Motion Stills by Google
This app lets you capture 3-second clips that can be converted into cinemagraphs and sweeping cinematic panning shots. You can also create looping stills and GIFs and share them with the community. There are loads of other tools that you can mess with to create unique live photos on your Android device. Although keep in mind that you cannot use the outputs of this app as live wallpapers for your phone.
Download – Motion Stills
This app lets you convert your favorite GIFs, videos and photos to live wallpapers on your Android phones. You just need to select the video that you want to set up as a live wallpaper and the part which will loop. Once done, the app allows you to set the video wallpaper on either your lock screen or home screen.
Download – TurnLive
Using the apps and the procedures to use them listed above, you can easily convert your favorite memories from videos to live photos. These live photos can be stored on your device for later viewing or they can also be used as live wallpapers. We hope this guide has helped you to choose the best app for the purpose of converting videos to live photos.