Reddit has a huge user base that is still growing at a steady pace. The content on Reddit is presented in the form of individual subreddits for each topic. There are subreddits to accommodate almost every type of niche. Reddit gives the user full control over their accounts, and if for some reason you want to delete your Reddit account, it is quite simple to do so.
Before Deleting Your Reddit Account
You have the option to ‘deactivate’ your accounts, but your previous posts and comments on the platform don’t get deleted. The username is removed from these posts, but the actual content is not. Generally, deleting comments and posts is not necessary, as there is no way to see which user posted them if their account is deleted. But, in case you posted personal data that can be identified regardless, you’ll need to remove it before deactivating your account.
The process of deleting your recent posts and comments is quite similar. Follow these steps to find all of your content in one place, and delete them manually:
- Go to the Reddit website on your browser, or open the Reddit app.
- Tap on your profile picture on the Reddit homepage.
- You will get a navigation bar on the top with sections of “Posts”, “Comments”, “Upvoted”, etc.
- Navigate to your desired tab.
- Next, you can start deleting your content by tapping the three horizontal dots on the bottom of each post and comment, and selecting the option “Delete”.
Once you’ve deleted your posts and comments, you are ready to proceed with the process of account deactivation. In the next section, you will get step-by-step information on how to deactivate your account using either your PC browser or the Reddit Android app.
Read: Sites Like Reddit: 10 Reddit Alternatives You Will Love
How to Delete Reddit Account on App?
Most of Reddit’s users access the platform using their smartphones. The app is well-designed, and you can deactivate your account with ease directly from it. Follow these simple steps to delete your account from the Reddit app:
- Open the Reddit app and tap on your profile picture in the top left corner.
- From here, navigate to ‘Settings’ from the lower part of the sidebar.
- Scroll down, and tap on “Help Center”.
- Search for “Deactivate Account” using the search bar in the webpage.
- Tap on the first result – “How do I deactivate my account?”
- The next page that opens up will warn you that deactivating a Reddit account is only possible by using your browser on a computer. But, it is very easy to bypass this.
- Scroll down and tap on the hyperlink that says “Account Settings”.
- You will be redirected to a page that has the option “Deactivate Account” on the lower right portion of the webpage.
- If, for some reason you are redirected to the Reddit homepage, use the desktop mode on your phone browser.
- Tap on the “Deactivate Account” option to show a pop-up window that will ask for your login credentials before you can press the final “Deactivate” button.
- Once you’re done with these steps, your account should be permanently deactivated.
Read: How to Permanently Delete Your TikTok Account?
How to Delete Reddit Account From Your PC?
In case you prefer using your PC to browse Reddit, deleting your account should be even simpler. The steps mentioned below should help you to get rid of your account on using your PC.
- Open your preferred browser and go to Reddit using this link.
- Tap on your profile picture in the top right corner.
- From the dropdown menu, select “Help Center”.
- You’ll be redirected to another page where you need to type “Account Deactivation” in the search bar.
- Just like the previous step, click on “How do I deactivate my account” from the search results.
- Scroll down to find the hyperlink “Deactivate”, and click on it.
- On the next page, you will need to enter your credentials to verify your identity.
- Once you tap on the “Deactivate account” button, your account should be permanently deleted.
Frequently Asked Questions?
Does deactivating your account automatically delete your posts and comments?
No, after you deactivate your account, your posts and comments would stay on the website. But, your username and any connection to your account will be removed from these posts and comments. You can easily avoid this by removing your content on Reddit before deactivating your account, as elaborated before.
Is it possible to recover your account after deactivating it?
Once you have deactivated your account, there is no way to recover it. The term “deactivation” can be misleading sometimes, as it seems to be a temporary solution. But, deactivating your account in the case of Reddit, permanently deletes it. Therefore, you should consider your decision seriously while deactivating your account.
Is it okay to leave your posts and comments on Reddit and just deactivate your account?
Deleting your submissions on Reddit is a good idea before permanently deleting your account. But it does not pose any privacy issue to leave them on there, as your account won’t be connected to these comments and posts. But if you’ve posted any personally identifiable information on Reddit, make sure to delete them before deactivation, or they will stay forever on Reddit.
It Is always a good idea to delete your social media accounts, in case you won’t be using them anymore. Reddit accounts are no exception, and you deleting your account is quite easy on this platform. The steps listed above should guide you through the entire process in an intuitive manner, and answer your questions related to the topic if you have any.