Gmail by Google is an excellent and revolutionary platform to simplify Emails. The mailbox is very easy and convenient to use without any hassles, even for people who are not that tech-savvy.
However, nowadays there has been a huge inflow of spam and useless Emails that tends to annoy all the users. These spam emails unnecessarily rack up on the unread count of the mailbox and you can sometimes miss out on an important and urgent email because of such spam emails.
However, a simple solution to this issue is that you can mark these emails as read without actually going through each of them and opening them in Gmail.
You can make things a lot simpler and give your inbox a fresh and decluttered start by marking all your old emails as read in order to keep yourself updated on the new ones. The best part about all of this is that Google’s advanced search features make the process of reading all the emails really simple.
How to Mark Emails as Read in Gmail Website?
If you have been using the Gmail platform to send and receive emails on your desktop which would be running either on Windows or Mac platform, you can mark all or a particular email as read on through the website itself.
- In order for you to mark a single email as read, you are required to hover over the email from your Inbox and then press the “Envelope” button.
- After you press the envelope button, the targetted Email will now appear faded, and your unread email count will now be decreased by one.
- In order to mark multiple emails as read, you need to use the “Select” tool from the left edge of the emails list.
- Then click on the “Checkmark” icon for all the emails that you want to be marked as read. If a user wants to mark all their emails as read, you will be required to use the checkmark icon from the top toolbar. Every email on the current page will be selected.
- Now you need to use the “Select All Conversations” button option to select all conversations in the Inbox or from a particular category. Once you have done the selection process, click on the “Mark As Read” button from the top toolbar.
- This will ensure that all the selected emails are marked as read. Now finally, if you want to mark the emails as unread, you can select all the emails and select the “Mark as Unread” button from the toolbar.
Read: How to Create Gmail Account Without Phone Number
How to Mark Emails as Read in Gmail on iPhone or Android Phone
The Gmail app on IOS or even an Android phone is very simple and easy to use. You can easily mark the emails as read, directly from your inbox. It has the same method for any of your iPhone, iPad or Android device.
- First of all, you are required to open the Gmail application and then navigate to your inbox.
- Then you need to tap on the sender’s photo for the email which you want to be marked as read. You can also select multiple emails in a similar fashion without any hassles.
- Once you have selected emails, you are required to tap on the “Envelope” icon in the top toolbar. Once you press the envelope button, all the selected emails will be marked as read.
- If you want to mark the emails as unread, select the emails again and then tap the same “Envelop” icon.
Read: 9 Free Business Email Accounts to Get Professional Emails
Marking Emails in Specific Folders as Read
In order to mark emails in a specific folder as read, one can use the advanced search function to select the messages in all of the folders.
To select unread emails in an important folder of your Gmail account, you need to type Label: Important is: Unread into the search box.
A user can also easily set up a filter on Gmail that would let you automatically mark certain Emails as read just as they are sent into your mailbox. In order to do this, you need to first navigate into the search bar and then click on the arrow which is there on your right-hand side.
Then enter the search criteria for the emails that you wish to automatically mark as read. This is generally done from the From field. Then you need to click on Search. The user is required to select Mark as read, and then Create filter.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does marking emails as read mean?
You can set two major statuses to the emails that you receive, read and unread. Marking the emails as reading simple would remove the unread notification from your mailbox irrespective of whether or not you have read the email from your mailbox.
Why should I mark the emails as read?
There are a lot of reasons why you may want to mark an email as read. The obvious one is that you have already opened the email to read it and hence you have informed Google that the email is not unread.
A lot of users also mark their emails as read in order to keep their respective inboxes clean. You can mark all your unnecessary and spam emails as read in order to ensure that you do not clutter your inbox and distract you from the important emails that you may receive.