So you have a new Xbox One console. That’s great, but it also means that you now need to install games in order to play. You may have heard that Xbox can download and install games while you’re not using it, but when you first tried it, you woke up to the same install percentage as the night before.
Well, your Xbox One may not be set to allow downloads when not in use. Let’s fix that.
Can your Xbox One install games when it’s off?
To download when you’re not using it, your Xbox One must be set up for instant activation. This keeps it in power saving mode and can be turned on at any time. Additionally, the network connection and all hard drives are preserved. How to activate it:
Take your controller and perform the following steps:
- First, you need to get to the home screen of your Xbox.
- To get there, hit the center X button on your controller and select “Go Home.”
- Now you need to access the Power Settings of your Xbox one. To do so select System> Settings> General> Power & Startup Mode.
- In the Power Mode drop-down list, select Instant On.
- Next, make sure when Xbox is disabled, storage is turned off so external drives are not disabled.
That’s all you need. Now if you turn off the console with the controller or put it to sleep, the games will continue to download for installation or update.
How to Install games on Xbox One while it is off?
- Go to the home screen. This is the main menu of the X-Box and what you see when it is first turned on. To get there, press the center X button on your controller and select “Go Home.”
- Press the menu button on the controller. It’s the little middle right button.
- In the Settings menu, find Power and startup. Click “Settings” → “Power and Start”. Here you can set the Xbox to use sleep mode when it is off. It will automatically check for downloads and updates and complete them.
How to Install games on Xbox 360 while it is off?
In “Low Power” mode, stop all downloads that you started before shutdown. The 360 can only complete downloads that you initiate when the system is on. It is activated automatically. So if you start a download and then turn off the Xbox, the game will download later. The following steps will help you enable the power saving mode if you suspect it is off.
- Press the center X button and choose Settings. You can do this from any screen.
- Select “System Preferences” and then “Console Preferences”. From there you can change the power settings.
- Go to “Background Downloads” and make sure they are enabled. You can find it in the “Start and stop” section of the settings. Your downloads will now be activated.
How to Install games on Xbox while it is off?
- Go to the Xbox Dashboard. To do this, select “Start” at the top right.
- Select Console Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to Startup and Shutdown. This will show you the options to turn off your Xbox and enable downloads.
- Select the download with the device turned off.
- When you are done playing, turn off your Xbox.
Now Xbox will not turn off completely and the power button will blink. The game will only download with 1/4 speed when the Xbox is on.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1. How long does it take to download a 42.85 GB game at 10 Mbps?
Answer: The time required in this situation is around 4 to 5 hours, depending on the strength of your WiFi connection.
Question 2. Is it free to download or does it cost money?
Answer: Some games cost money and some are free. There is no charge for Xbox itself just for downloading it.
Question 3. How do I know when the download is complete?
Answer: You just have to check it more. If you have a good internet connection, this shouldn’t take more than a few hours. If you omit it, the download will be faster.
Question 4. On my Xbox One Digital, can I turn off my console while downloading games? Will they continue to charge?
Answer: If you go into settings and have enabled “Immediate power on” in “Start” this works.
Question 5. How long does it take to download a 23.13 GB game?
Answer: It depends on the download speed. For example, at 10 Mbps it would take an hour or two.