New social media platforms emerge every so often, but few rise in popularity as rapidly as TikTok. Since it was released in 2016, the number of users and the content produced by them have grown exponentially. TikTok is always experimenting with new features, and Duets are one of them.
Duets are one of the more recently added features in TikTok and have helped many creators bring out their creativity and skills to a broader audience. In this article, you will get to know how to make the best use of the Duets feature in TikTok, and some Duet ideas that will help you to go viral. First, let’s take an in-depth look at the concept of Duets.
If you love posting videos on TikTok, you can also check out these great ideas for creative TikTok content.
What are Duets on TikTok?
Creating a Duet on TikTok requires you to record a video of your performance, and attach it to an existing video from other creators. You can choose to Duet with popular videos in order to get a better chance at making it to the ‘For You’ page.
Duets on TikTok are presented in the form of a split video with your video on the left side, and the existing video on right. Both of them are simultaneously played together, and this brings many opportunities for creative and engaging content ideas.
There are some things you need to consider before trying to make a Duet. The video that you are trying to Duet on can only be used if the creator has enabled the Duet feature in their account settings. If you want to enable other creators to Duet on your videos or restrict them from doing so, here’s how to make the appropriate changes to the TikTok settings.
How to Enable or Disable Duets on Your TikTok Account?
- Open the TikTok app on your phone.
- Locate and tap on the ‘Me’ button on the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Navigate to the three vertical dots on the top right part of the app.
- Tap this to get the ‘Settings and privacy’ menu.
- From here, navigate to ‘Privacy’.
- Inside the privacy options, you’ll find ‘Who can Duet with your videos’
- Tap on it and select ‘everyone’ to let other creators use your content to Duet, and ‘Only me’ to restrict your videos from being used by others.
Now that you have made the appropriate changes to your account, let’s take a look at how to create your own Duet on TikTok. It is quite simple to do this, and following these steps should get you started with creating Duets right away.
How to Create Duets on TikTok?
- Open the TikTok app and navigate to the video you want to Duet on.
- Once you find the desired video, locate and tap on the ‘Share’ button. This is the same button you’d press to share videos with your friends and other social media platforms.
- On the bottom row of the pop-up, you’ll find the ‘Duet’ button.
- Tap on it to bring up the camera and record the video that you want to attach to the original.
- Next, you will get a screen with options to add filters, text, stickers, and make additional changes to your recorded video.
- Once you’re done with editing the video, press ‘Next’.
- Here, you can add your captions and other details related to the post.
- To finalize and post the video, tap on ‘Post’.
Once you follow these steps, you should have successfully created and uploaded your first Duet. But there are several other tricks that you can use to spice up your Duet and gain more views and followers. If you’re interested in being popular on social media platforms, you’d perhaps like to read on How to increase your social media presence.
When posting a Duet, the soundtrack stays the same as the video that is being used to Duet. If you want to add your own soundtrack to the newly created Duet, then follow these simple steps to do so.
How to Add Your Own Soundtrack to Duets?
- Open the TikTok app, and repeat the steps that you followed to make a Duet until the video capture part.
- Once you get prompted by the app to record a video for the Duet, locate and tap on the ‘Mic’ button. You should be able to find it on the right side of the screen.
- Once voice recording has been enabled, record the video as you usually would.
- To finalize your video and put it up, press on ‘Post’.
- Now your Duet should have the sound captured while creating the video.
In case you want to add a voiceover to the Duet, TikTok offers you the option to do so quite easily. You can add your voiceover to the Duet after recording the video by following the steps listed below.
Adding Voiceover to Duets in TikTok
- Repeat the steps to create a Duet in TikTok until you get to the video recording section.
- Turn the added sound volume to the lowest setting.
- On the right side of the screen, you’ll find the ‘Voiceover’ button.
- Next, you’ll have to tap and hold the red button at the bottom of the screen to start recording your voiceover.
- Once done, tap on the ‘Save’ button at the top right corner of the screen.
- Add your desired effects, captions and post the Duet by tapping on the ‘Post’ button.
You should now have created a Duet with your own voiceover. Additionally, you can even Duet your own videos to add a creative twist to them. The procedure is the same as what you’d do for making a Duet on other creator’s videos.
Creating a Duet is one of the many creative video formats that TikTok presents. You can choose popular videos and create Duets on them to bring your talent to a wider audience. Keep in mind that you can only create Duets from videos posted by creators who have enabled the Duets feature in their accounts. This article should help you to get started with this wonderful feature, and let you create unique Duets with your own soundtracks and voiceovers.