Despite being one of the newer social media apps, Snapchat has been appreciated by its userbase because of the great features and reliability they provide. You can share your videos and photos with your friends and acquaintances while chatting with them.
Unfortunately, when taking photos, the camera app produces a shutter sound. Also, to make things worse, Snapchat does not provide an option to turn this off from the app.
In case you don’t want to disturb other people by revealing the camera shutter sound to everyone around, then take a look at the tips we have listed below to disable the Snapchat shutter sound in both iPhones and Android devices.
Can You Disable Camera Sound Directly From Snapchat?
While using Snapchat to capture pictures, you are presented with the default camera app to take the photo. This is done by using the stock camera that comes with the phone. It helps to improve compatibility with different hardware and software found on phones.
If you are looking for a way to disable Snapchat camera shutter directly from the app, unfortunately, there are no toggles or options to do so. You have to rely on either changing the settings in your default camera or some other techniques that we have mentioned below. The method you use depends on either you have an Android or an iOS phone.
How To Turn Off Camera Shutter Sound on Snapchat?
For Android devices, the method you use varies according to the manufacturer of your phone. The reason for this is that some skins of the Android OS have options to disable the shutter sound option directly in the stock camera application, while others don’t offer this option.
As Snapchat uses the default camera application, the shutter sound gets disabled if you can access it from there. First, let’s take a look at how to do this on Android, with the latter section being dedicated to iPhones.
Turning Off Shutter Sound From Stock Camera App
- Go to the ‘Camera’ app on your phone.
- Depending on the model of your device, locate the settings of the camera app.
- For Pixel and other stock Android devices, you can find it by swiping from the top.
- Once inside the camera, look for any toggles to turn the shutter sound off, like “Camera Sounds” on stock Android devices.
- If you don’t see any shutter sound toggle, it may be because of the regional laws of the location where the phone was manufactured and sold, like Japan or Korea.
- Once done, you can take photos like you normally would on Snapchat without worrying about the shutter sound.
Note that you can also use the ‘Do Not Disturb’ toggle on Android devices to stop the Snapchat shutter sound completely. The downside of this method is that you may not receive important emails or calls when DND is turned on.
Another way you can turn off the shutter sound is to turn all the volume levels of your phone to their lowest respective values. You can do this by using the volume button and then dragging the sliders.
How to Turn Off Snapchat Shutter Sound on iPhone/iPad
The Snapchat app in iOS uses its own camera interface and does not rely on the default camera app. Also, you cannot change the camera settings like in Android, as there’s no toggle for it. There are a couple of ways in which you can turn off the shutter sound in iPhones or iPad. Take a look at them here:
For iOS 12 and Earlier
- There is a feature called Assistive touch in iOS devices that allows you to control basic functions like volume, mute/unmute toggle, notifications, and other gestures.
- Go to Settings, then navigate to ‘General’.
- Under ‘General’ look for ‘Accessibility’ and open it.
- Here you can find ‘Integration’, under which you need to enable “Assistive Touch”.
- Once you can access the “Assistive Touch” menu, tap on the ‘Device’ icon to access the option that says ‘Unmute’.
- Tap on it to turn off all sounds including the Snapchat shutter sound on your phone.
For iOS 13 and Later
- Slide from the top or the bottom on your iPhone home screen to access the iOS control panel.
- Here, you can use the volume slider and turn it all the way down to turn off shutter sounds on your phone.
- You can also use the physical mute switch located on the left side of your phone or tablet to turn off the shutter sound in the camera.
Note that you can also use the volume down button on your iPhone to turn it down to mute. Also, there is a DND option in the iOS control center that can be used for the same purpose, but turning it on also hides all incoming calls and messages.
Using Snapchat is a great way to capture everyday moments of your life, apply different filters and effects to them, and share them with your friends and family. But one of the annoying aspects of this app is the fake shutter sound that plays when you capture a photo.
Snapchat also doesn’t offer an option in their app to turn this feature off. Despite this, there are some ways that you can turn the Snapchat shutter sound off on both Android and iOS devices. We hope the methods listed here have helped you to get rid of this annoying shutter sound.
I need some help with my iPhone 7 plus as I want to turn off my shutter sound. I have tried to put it on silent and use accessive touch as well as turning the sound down but it just won’t turn off I was wondering if you had any suggestions to help me out.
your article is just amazing. keep it up, dear.